Sunday, August 14, 2011

Orlando - Day 1

I have arrived in Orlando. The flight was uneventful and was only delayed by 1/2 hour. I had a delightful shuttle ride with a couple on their honeymoon. They were going to Disney World as Bonnie and I had done 38 years ago. He was back from Iraq and they were about to enjoy what they had postponed because of the war. They were so happy. It did my heart good to listen to their plans and obvious excitement. I wished them well in their life together. I told them that Disney World had been a very special place for Bonnie and me in our life together.

The shuttle arrived at the World Center, which turns out to be a five star hotel. I got lost in the lobby. I think they have eight restaurants. I set out for the Food Court. I'm assuming the church got a good deal in the middle of August. The delegates are arriving as I sit in the WiFi bar. They keep asking me if I want a drink. I have been a disappointment to the wait staff.

I have read through the material for the assembly. I am very impressed with the work that has already been done. There are so many memorials from the various synods, but all of them have been processed and recommendations have been made. I am very impressed with the consideration given to each memorial. Each recommendation is thoughtful, Biblical, and gracious.

Tomorrow the real works begins. Registration is bright and early. I can hardly wait to hear that many Lutherans sing. Well, I'm off to find my room again. I left bread crumbs. I will write again tomorrow night. Please keep the assembly in your prayers. I am excited about this opportunity to see the church-at-large at work.

Peace,
Pastor Summer

No comments: