Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Orlando -Day 3

Today was another full day. The plenary session began at 8:00 on the dot. Bishop Hansen gave his report outlining his great sense of hope with the church. Lifting up one ministry after another, it was hard to disagree. What is amazing is the impact our church has globally. One illustration is how FEMA loves us. FEMA recognizes us as a community of faith that always resonds when there is a need and we stay until the work is done. That is true is Haiti, the Gulf Coast, and those areas devastated by the recent floods and tornadoes. I felt very proud to be a Lutheran.

After the Bishop's report, we took up our duscussion of the Lift report. Many questions were resided and we did not take any action and will wait until the next plenary session on Wednesday. We moved into worship, which was another rich experience. The music and liturgy had a real Asian feel. It was all new, but I loved every minute.

We had a bag lunch. Most of us headed outside. The hotel can be downright cold. The people from Minnesota may love it, but the rest of us didn't pack sweaters for Florida. After lunch, there was bible study with New Jersey taking the lead. Since we were all in our blue New Jersey shirts, it was good that we had a specific role to play. Once again, I enjoyed the conversation around the table with people from all across the country.

The bible study led to two mission encounters. Each one was a presentation of some of the exciting ministries taking place around the world and around the country. I almost didn't attend the second one since the first one was two hours. I'm glad I decided to attend the second. The music was amazing and the stories compelling. I'm sure some of those stories will make their way into a sermon or two.

Our dinner had a mission theme with a global choir singing songs of praise from around the world. The people at my table were from Nebraska, Kentucky, Massachusetts, and Oklahoma. It was difficult to speak over the music, but somehow, everyone could hear me.

Leaving the banquet hall dancing, our synod delegation met to discuss the days events and decisions and to work through the long list of nominations. I was very impressed with the conversation and feel very honored to be a part of this delegation. Our work concluded at 9:45 and I am once again sitting in the WiFi cafe writing this blog. They are still trying to serve me drinks, but I may be the only Lutheran in the cafe not enjoying the beverages. I will be heading to bed shortly. I continue to be grateful for this experience and look forward to bringing home what I have learned.

Peace,
Pastor Summer

No comments: